Hadson Immigration

Canadian Study Permit

How to Apply for a Canadian Study Permit

If you are interested in studying in Canada

The study permit grants the legal authorization for a person to study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada. When applying for a study permit, a foreign national should be aware that there are eligibility requirements which must be met when submitting the study permit application.

As well, there are certain conditions which must be met throughout the student’s time in Canada.

There are many steps involved with applying for a study permit and the processing times vary greatly from country-to-country, so it is best to plan ahead to ensure your permit will be processed before your study period begins.

The majority of Canadian post-secondary educational programs commence study in September, January, or May, though a number of programs do offer intakes outside of those dates.

Since a foreign national cannot apply for a study permit without an acceptance letter, they should check the start date and application process for their schools and programs of interest far in advance to ensure they have sufficient time to obtain the acceptance letter and complete the study permit application.

You will first need to obtain a Canadian study permit.


Study Permit Requirements

There are two sets of requirements you must consider when applying for a Canadian study permit:

Eligibility requirements, and requirements while studying in Canada.

Eligibility Requirements

You must meet these criteria in order to be eligible to apply for a study permit:

  • Acceptance Letter: You must have an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in order to apply for a Canadian study permit.
  • Proof of Financial Support: You must provide documentation proving that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of tuition for your first year of study as well as the cost of living (housing, food, etc.) for yourself and any accompanying family members for your first year of study. Please note that these funds can be under your name or the name of a family member or close friend.
  • Supporting Documentation: Extensive supporting documentation must be submitted with all study permit applications. This documentation varies from country-to-country.

In order to determine the documents required for a specific location, you can consult the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website, or you can contact our firm and one of our Educational Counsellors will contact you with assistance.

When you apply for your permit, the visa officer will confirm to ensure you meet the requirements.
If the visa officer is not satisfied, they will refuse your application.

Requirements while studying in Canada

If your study permit is approved and you enter Canada as an international student, you must meet the requirements below in order to maintain the validity of your study permit.

While studying in Canada under a study permit, a foreign national must:


  • always be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • make progress towards completing their program
  • respect any conditions listed on their study permit
  • stop studying if they no longer meet the requirements and
  • leave Canada when their permit expires

Application Process

There are four stages to obtaining a Canadian study permit:

Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for a Canadian study permit.

You require an acceptance letter from a DLI, proof of financial support, as well as a range of documents which vary depending on your countries of citizenship and residence.

If you meet all eligibility requirements then you can prepare your study permit application. Ensure that you have gathered all documents required for your country.

Immigration officers reserve the right to refuse study permits if they feel an applicant has not met all requirements, so it is valuable to have a qualified immigration representative review your application prior to submission

You have two options when submitting your application: 

Submit an electronic application: Create an account on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website and you can submit an application electronically using scanned or electronic copies of documents. 

Submit a paper-based application: Compile your application in hard copy and mail it to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) assigned to your country.

Please note that you do not receive your Canadian study permit until you arrive at a Canadian Port of Entry (POE). If your permit is approved, the Canadian government will issue you a Port of Entry Introduction Letter.

You must keep this letter and show it to the immigration official when you arrive in Canada in order to obtain your study permit.

Don’t Forget that your study permit is not a visa.

This means that, depending on your country of citizenship, you may need a travel visa in order to come to the POE in Canada.

*If you are already in Canada legally, you may apply from within the country. If your study permit is approved it will be mailed to you.

Study Permit Exemptions

Not all foreign nationals require a permit in order to study in Canada. The following are the most common exemptions from the study permit requirement:

Short-Term Studies:

A foreign national does not require a study permit if they are completing a program of study which has a duration of six months or less. If the foreign national takes longer than six months to complete such a program, they must secure a study permit before the initial six months has passed.

Members of foreign armed forces

A member of a foreign armed force who is in Canada on active duty does not require a permit to study. However, their family members may require study permits. 

If you are unsure whether or not you require a study permit for Canada, please complete our free student assessment and one of our Educational Counsellors will contact you to discuss your options.

Minor children in Canada

Minor children, those under the age of 18 or 19 (the age for minor children varies by province), do not need a study permit to attend kindergarten, pre-school, primary or secondary school if they meet one of the following conditions:

  • They (or their parents) are refugees or refugee claimants
  • They are in Canada accompanying a parent who is authorized to work or study

Studying in Quebec

Those interested in pursuing an educational program in the province of Quebec must first obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) before applying for a study permit.

While many students think receiving a letter of acceptance is the hardest part of the pre-study abroad process, it can be even more difficult to land a student visa.

However, Canada’s popularity makes it significantly harder to get a visa because of the high volume of applicants.

We suggest you apply for a study permit as soon as you have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian college or university.

It can take up to 3 months to get a study permit, depending on the country where you are applying.

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

Age Limit for Student visa in Canada

To study in Canada, you must be a minimum of 18 years of age. Even though there is no age limit, you need a study permit if you are a minor. Though the age limit varies with the province. You must be a Canadian or foreign youth of age between 18 to 35.

Studying while on a Temporary Resident Visa. If you would like to study in Canada while waiting for your sponsorship application to be processed, you do not need a study permit for courses less than six months.

You just need to make sure that these courses do not exceed six months.

In general, a study permit/visa is not required for online courses. However, studying without a visa could affect your future post-graduation work permit (PGWP), after graduation.
I have applied for a study visa/extension; however I cannot provide required documents (e.g passport) due to office closures.

Yes. You can have two valid permits at the same time under International Experience Canada (IEC). … You can also apply for a study permit if you have a valid work permit through IEC.

IEC is not meant for foreign youth who plan to study in Canada for more than six months during their IEC participation


Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top