Hadson Immigration

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Most foreign nationals who want to visit Canada require a valid visitor visa to enter the country. However, citizens of some countries are visa-exempt.

In 2016, Canada introduced electronic travel authorizations (eTA) as a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to or through Canada by air.

Who Needs an eTA

Most foreign nationals who are exempt from requiring a Canadian visitor visa require an eTA if they are travelling to or transiting through Canada by air. A notable exception to the eTA requirement is U.S. citizens, who can continue to travel to Canada using their valid U.S. passport.

eTA Exemptions

There are some exceptional cases in which travelers may not be required to obtain an eTA. Such cases include:

  • French citizens who live in Saint Pierre and Miquelon and are flying directly to Canada from St. Pierre and Miquelon;
  • Diplomats accredited by the Government of Canada, and;
  • Foreign nationals who transit through a Canadian airport under the Transit Without Visa or China Transit programs.

How to Apply for an eTA

To apply for an eTA, you will need internet access and your personal information such as address and passport. A form must be completed online and pay a $7 government fee by credit card. 

If approved, the eTA will remain valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. If you have more than one passport, you must travel with the passport that your eTA is linked to. 

Approval time ranges between minutes and days, so it is best to apply before travelling.


Travelers of all ages entering Canada by air who are NOT:

  • Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents;
  • U.S. citizens, or;
  • exempt

Are required to have an eTA.

Your eTA is linked to your passport. You must always carry your linked passport when coming to Canada by air. If you are required to have an eTA and you receive a new passport you will need to complete a new eTa application.

Your eTA must be fully completed, received, and approved before boarding your flight. An eTA does NOT guarantee entry into Canada.

When you arrive in Canada you will be required to meet with a Canadian border officer who will determine your entry eligibility.

When your eTA is approved, you will receive an email confirmation. You will also receive an email if we need more information to process your application or if your eTA has been denied.

Please make sure to check your email junk mail folder.

five years
Once approved, your eTA is valid for five years or until your passport expires – whichever comes first. You can come to Canada as many times as you wish as long as your eTA remains valid.

Depending on your citizenship, you may need an eTA or a visitor visa, as well as a study permit.

Your eTA or visa will be issued to you at the same time as your study permit. You do not need to apply separately or to pay an additional fee.

n most cases, applicants will receive their eTA approval (via email) within minutes of applying. However, some applications may need several days to process.

If this happens to your application, you will receive an email within 72 hours of applying that tells you what your next steps are.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top
Send Us Message
Need Help?
Hello, Let's connect to discuss.