Hadson Immigration

Refugee resettlement to Canada

Refugee resettlement to Canada

Refugee status

Canada offers refugee protection to some people in Canada who fear persecution or who would be in danger if they had to leave. Some dangers they may face include

  • torture

  • risk to their life

  • risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment

If you feel you could face one of these risks if you go back to your home country or the country where you normally live, you may be able to seek protection in Canada as a refugee.

Who can make a refugee claim

To make a refugee claim, you

  1. must be in Canada
  2. can’t be subject to a removal order

If you’re outside Canada, you may be eligible to

  1. resettle in Canada as refugee
  2. immigrate to Canada through one of our programs


If you make a refugee claim, we’ll decide if it can be referred to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB). The IRB is an independent tribunal that makes decisions on immigration and refugee matters.

Your refugee claim may not be eligible to be referred to the IRB if you

  • are recognized as a Convention refugee by another country that you can return to
  • were granted protected person status in Canada
  • arrived via the Canada–United States border
  • have made a refugee claim in another country, as confirmed through information-sharing
  • are not admissible to Canada on security grounds or because of criminal activity or human rights violations
  • made a previous refugee claim that was not found eligible
  • made a previous refugee claim that was rejected by the IRB
  • abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim

The IRB decides who is a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection.

Convention refugees are outside their home country or the country they normally live in. They’re not able to return because of a well-founded fear of persecution based on

  • race
  • religion
  • political opinion
  • nationality
  • being part of a social group, such as women or people of a particular sexual orientation

person in need of protection is a person in Canada who can’t return to their home country safely. This is because, if they return, they may face

  • danger of torture
  • risk to their life
  • risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment

Make a claim after arriving in Canada​

You can also make a claim for refugee protection after arriving in Canada. If you choose to make a claim after arriving in Canada, you must submit a complete application including all supporting documentation, as well as the BOC Form, when you make your claim. Refer to the Completing Your Basis of Claim Form page for information about the BOC Form and what is required.

To make your claim after arriving in Canada, you should submit your refugee claim online. If you have already made a claim, you don’t need to resubmit it through the portal.

To submit your claim online, you’ll need a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents. You will also need to create your online account, which can be used to submit your claim, and also to check on the status. If you are unable to submit your claim online after arriving in Canada, you may request to submit your refugee claim on paper from inside Canada.

  • If you are working with a representative that is helping you with your claim, they can either help you complete your claim or submit a claim for you. Whoever creates the portal account is the person who must sign and submit the claim. If your representative is submitting a claim for you, both you and your representati​ve must sign a declaration form and upload it to the portal account, authorizing them to make a claim on your behalf.

If your claim is rejected…

Claim refugee status from inside Canada:

After you apply

There are 4 possible results from making your claim at the port of entry. The next steps depend on what happens at the border.

  1. The border services officer decides your claim is eligible

    You’ll receive a notice from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) about a hearing. You must

  2. The officer schedules you for an interview

    You must

  3. The officer tells you to complete your claim online

    You must

    To complete your claim online, you’ll need

    • the application number on your acknowledgement of claim letter
    • your interview location
  4. The officer decides your claim is not eligible

After you submit your claim online, we’ll review it to make sure it’s complete. If it is, we’ll

If your claim is incomplete, we’ll let you know what’s missing.

You’ll get an email if we update your account or upload a document for you. Make sure you check your email regularly.

If you made your claim at the port of entry and were told to complete it online

You must keep the acknowledgement of claim letter you received at the border and go to your scheduled interview. You won’t get a new letter or new interview details.

Make sure you bring your original passport or any other identification documents you have to your appointment.

During your appointment, we’ll

  • review your application
  • collect your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) and any required documents (if you haven’t already provided them)
  • conduct your eligibility interview to decide if your claim is eligible (if we can)
  • give you documents about next steps

During your interview we’ll decide if your claim is eligible. If we decide it is, we’ll refer it to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB).

After the interview, we’ll give you a Refugee Protection Claimant Document that matches our decision about your claim. If your claim is eligible, we’ll also give you a confirmation of referral letter that confirms we referred your claim to the IRB. These documents will help you

If we refer your claim to the IRB, the IRB will send you a notice to appear for a hearing. This notice will tell you

  • where to go for your hearing
  • when to get there
  • when it starts

After your hearing, the IRB will approve or refuse your refugee claim.

After your hearing

After your refugee hearing, the IRB approves or rejects your refugee claim.

If the IRB accepts your claim, you get “protected person” status. This means you can stay in Canada, and you can apply to become a permanent resident of Canada.

If the IRB rejects your claim, you’ll have to leave Canada. You may be eligible to appeal the IRB’s decision. You may also have other options.

If your claim is ineligible, your claim won’t be referred to the IRB and you’ll be issued an enforceable removal order to leave Canada.


Work or study while waiting for a refugee claim decision

  • Get a work permit

  • Get a study permit

  • Extend your work or study permit

Get a work permit

Who can get a work permit

You and your family members may be eligible for open work permits if you’re making a refugee claim and

  1. you need a job to pay for food, clothing and shelter
  2. the family members you want permits for
    • are with you in Canada
    • plan to work
    • are also applying for refugee status

How to apply for a work permit

If you haven’t already submitted your refugee claim, you can let us know in your online claim application.

  • Choose “Yes” when asked if you would like to request a work permit.
  • You don’t need to submit a separate application or pay extra fees.
  • We’ll give you a work permit after you complete your medical exam, if your claim has been found eligible or we referred your claim to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.

If you already submitted your refugee claim, but didn’t apply for a permit at the same time, you can apply for a work permit separately.

Faster work permits for asylum claimants

As of November 16, 2022, we’ll process work permits for asylum claimants once we find them eligible and before we refer them to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. Before we issue a work permit, claimants must still

    • provide all required information (in the Canadian Refugee Protection Portal or IRCC Portal)
    • complete an immigration medical exam
    • give biometrics

Get a study permit

Who can get a study permit

A study permit lets you to go to school while you’re waiting for a decision on your claim. You and any of your family members who also made a refugee claim may be eligible for study permits. You must have an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution.


How to apply for a study permit

If you want to study while you’re in Canada, you must apply online for a study permit. You must have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution to apply.

You can’t request to apply for a study permit when you submit your refugee claim. You must apply for a study permit separately.

  • Minor children don’t need a study permit to go to kindergarten, elementary or secondary school.

Extend your work or study permit

If you apply to extend your work or study permit before it expires, you have the right to keep working or studying while you wait for a decision on your extension. To prove that you can still work or study, you can show your

  • expired work or study permit
  • proof of your application for an extension, including
    • a copy of your application
    • your fee receipt
    • confirmation that it was sent and delivered before your permit expired

If you let your work or study permit expire before you apply to extend it, you have to submit a new application and stop working or studying while you wait for a decision.

If you are fleeing your country because you fear persecution or risk to your life, you can apply for asylum in Canada.

If you are granted asylum, you will receive refugee status and the right to stay.

To apply for asylum, you must be physically present in Canada or be seeking entry into the country at a port of entry (airport, land border or seaport).

Have you made a refugee claim in Canada? Do you want to know more about refugee hearings

A refugee receives between 1,000 and 1,500 dollars in government living allowance. Of course, it is separate from accommodation and other services.

The first step towards moving to Canada is to get an assessment of your specific situation. Call us today at +1 613.222.7154 for an assessment to see if you are eligible to move to Canada, or fill out our online assessment form. 

Whatsapp:  +1 613.222.7154

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top
Send Us Message
Need Help?
Hello, Let's connect to discuss.